About the HRSDC Authentic Workplace Materials
The purpose of the collection of Authentic Workplace Materials is to provide materials (forms, tables, graphs, brochures, regulations, etc) that are actually used in many jobs across Canada. The collection has been assembled to encourage the use of a variety of materials in classroom learning activities.
The collection focuses on Reading Text, Document Use, and Writing Skills. Some materials also illustrate the use of other Skills such as Oral Communication and Numeracy. The Skills illustrated here are transferable. They can be used in many different jobs as well as in many situations other than work.
The glossary is intended to comment on and put a lustre upon the terms used in the collection.
Search for Authentic Materials by Skill type and also use an optional complexity level filter to narrow the results even further.
Viewing PDF Files
With some web browsers, Users can view PDF files directly (running Acrobat Reader within the browser); otherwise, Users can download the PDF file from the web site to their computer, then view it with Acrobat Reader.
If you do not have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer, clicking on the "Get Acrobat Reader" button (provided below) will take you to the Adobe web site, where simple instructions will allow you to download it.
Options when Viewing PDF Files
- PDFs allow you to "zoom" in and out to view a page at different sizes (levels of "magnification");
- the AWM images contain extensive detail in many cases, which you should be able to see by zooming in.
- PDFs can include multiple pages;
- use the Acrobat Reader navigation tools to move within the PDF document.
- You can print a PDF - note the Fit to Page option, which will shrink/enlarge the PDF page to fit on the printed page.